Saturday, November 13, 2010

Council erects ”Don’t be a Tosser” anti-litter signs

A town council was slammed today after erecting anti-litter signs along the high street telling residents: ”Don’t be a Tosser”. Ten signs – featuring the cheeky slogan alongside a diagram of a man dropping litter – have been installed in Trowbridge, Wilts. Complaints came to a head after a sign was placed above the town’s Remembrance cross which was a focal point for Thursday’s Poppy Day commemorations.



Council chiefs say there are ”no problems” with the signs – but local councillors have described them as ”disgusting”. Conservative town councillor Graham Payne, 63,said he had pleaded with the council to remove them. He said: ”There is a time and place for offensive language and a civic sign certainly does not fit into that.

”They look like something you would expect to find on a Club 18-30 holiday – not in a town. I have been a councillor for 35 years and I have never seen any problems like this with signage. It is completely unacceptable. I asked the town council clerk if the signs could be removed but he refused. I will be raising it at the full council meeting this month.



”The signs were pointed out to me when a local resident said one was above a Remembrance cross garden, which is disgusting. My family lost three brothers in the First World War and a cousin in the Second and I am taking my young granddaughter to the cross to pay our respects. It is wrong for us to have that over our heads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment