Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tourette's sydrome sufferer awaits operation to continue job as wedding registrar

A registrar with Tourette’s syndrome is having brain surgery so he can carry on conducting weddings.

Mike Sullivan, 32, has had almost no relief from constant shouting and grimacing “tics” – even when officiating at marriages. But after three years as a deputy registrar, he says his condition is getting worse.



He said: “I suffer from involuntary arm and head movements. I stick my tongue out and make noises such as squeaks – but I don’t swear. I have pinned all my hopes on this operation.”

Mike, of Exeter, Devon, will become the seventh Tourette’s sufferer to have the pioneer-ing surgery. The first six have all seen improvements. A transmitter in his brain will send electric shocks to another under his left collar bone, moderating the tics.

No comments:

Post a Comment