Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Footballer apologetic after throwing bottle in face of own fan

Hamburg have fined striker Paolo Guerrero around €75,000 for throwing a plastic bottle at a fan as he left the pitch after the weekend’s goalless home draw against relegation-threatened Hannover.

Bernd Hoffmann president of the Europa League quarter-finalists, said in a statement that the Peruvian striker's behaviour had been “absolutely unacceptable." He added: “Paolo will be punished with a big fine.”



Guerrero also faces the prospect of suspension by the German federation. A spokesman said: "The DFB has initiated an investigation against Paolo Guerrero who is suspected of a violent act against a spectator. Television pictures show him throwing a bottle into the stands and hitting a spectator in the face."

The Peruvian, who was playing only his second game since recovering from a knee ligament injury last September, apologised. He said: “I had a blackout. I was insulted and I overreacted. I'm really sorry. I hope I have the chance to meet the fan in person to apologise. I've already apologised to the club and, naturally, I will accept any fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment