Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pensioner told to prove he's old enough to buy alcohol

Off-licence staff refused to sell booze to a grey-haired pensioner - even after he showed his OAP bus pass and birth certificate. Chris Page, 67, was challenged when he tried to buy a £2.55 bottle of cider from a shopping centre store. The retired security firm cashier was told he had to provide photo ID because he may be under 18.

He produced his bus pass - which has his photo and is only issued at 65 - then returned with his birth certificate. But staff wouldn't budge and embarrassed Chris was forced to leave empty-handed. He said: "I don't have a passport or a driving licence and when you get to my age you don't expect to be asked for them when you're buying alcohol.



"They wouldn't even accept my bus pass, even though it's got my photo on and clearly proves to any sane person that I'm old enough to buy a bottle of cider. I might look a bit younger than 67 but I certainly don't look anywhere near 18. It was a completely ludicrous situation to be in. I suppose you could say it was flattering to be mistaken for a teenager, but I was just annoyed.

"These crazy rules have effectively banned me from buying alcohol from the shop. Either the world's gone mad or they are trying to bankrupt themselves. If this is a convenience store, I would hate to see an inconvenience store." Stunned Chris left the One Stop shop in his hometown of Harlow, Essex, and bought booze from an off-licence over the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment