Saturday, August 28, 2010

74-year-old in battle for the right to go topless at his home

Pensioner Jim Burgess is fighting for his right to go topless in the block where he lives - after being told to cover up. The 74-year-old has taken on the housing association which owns Harvey Brown House, on Hayling Island, over claims he is embarrassing fellow residents. Following letters and warnings from staff at Guinness Hermitage Housing Association to keep his top on, Mr Burgess refuses to back down. The retired engineer said he has received support from many of his neighbours.

'It is my right not to wear a shirt if I don't want to,' he said. 'This is who I am. I just don't tend to feel the cold, so all year round I wear a pair of shorts. There's nothing obscene or immoral about what I'm doing and if the association thinks it can railroad me into putting on a shirt then they're dead wrong. They are trying to take away my civil rights and I don't think it's fair.'



Mr Burgess said that it is only in the corridors and laundry rooms that he refuses to put a shirt on, and that he is always fully dressed in the common room of the sheltered building, in Restawhyle Avenue, which houses a total of 65 supported flats. But a spokesman for Guinness Hermitage said it does not make a distinction between the different areas. It said it has issued letters to all residents reminding them of the association's policy.

Mr Burgess said: 'All the other residents I have spoken to think the letters they sent out to everyone were disgusting. Now we have had another letter calling us all to a meeting to discuss what they call anti-social behaviour, which is what staff have told me I'm doing on more than one occasion. Well, I'm going to stand up and tell them what I think of them - they can't just bully me like this. I work hard helping my local church and I would do a favour for anyone, but I won't change who I am.'

No comments:

Post a Comment